الخميس، أغسطس 04، 2005

Finito..

I just finished reading “The Alchemist” by “Paulo Coelho”, and tell you after reading, I discovered it doesn’t really deserve all the over whelming propaganda it got in Egypt (for instance).
Yes, it beholds a philosophical spirit through out the story, or never the less, philosophical spirit without a story. And yes, Coelho was trying to discuss a pretty interesting aspects of life. Yet, I have to admit: I didn’t like it that much for I didn’t feel it in the first place.

As a starter the cover’s design was pretty amazing. I felt what I was going to read before hand. *Which for me leaves a perfect impression.*

If we went further I would tell you, it’s divided into 3 parts. The 1st part: before Santiago (the protagonist) meets The Alchemist. And the 2nd after they meet together in the middle of life’s road. Then the silliest of all “The Epilogue”.
The 1st part is a bit too long as an intro, the 2nd is mainly the story itself (which is a bit shallow). Too many un-necessarily details, too many repetitions as well through out the way. Simple things can be adopted by the reader, yet Coelho insisted on interpretations. *Which gets on my nerves truly!*
Then the Epilogue which ruined the excitement of the final phrase “and he knew where to find his treasure

I liked the main plot: discovering one’s true connection with nature, and his/her hidden powers and abilities *how so very true.* Almost all of us still un-aware of how we might meet our own selves. How to discover your most distinguished side as a human being and a living creature and how to understand the secrets of the universe around you.
Coelho succeeded ultimately in conveying that to us.

And again, what pissed me off was the mis-understanding of this part of the Arab lands, and again picturizing Egypt as a desert, some sands and a beautiful scenery of the pyramids *full stop*, that made me, sometimes, wish to tear the pages while reading. Even the mis-understanding of Islam in almost all the novel’s pages was the most provoking of all.

One last thing, I liked hell of quotations in the novel. Almost all the novel can be considered beautiful quotations on its own.

Anyhow, after all what I said, reading “The Alchemist” was an exciting experience, that no matter what was my opinion, I believe it still deserves reading it.
*Thanks friend :)*


P.S.: to know more about Coelho... click here..

ليست هناك تعليقات: